Shop Now New Bras Undies Lingerie Fit Blog Loyalty Program

where to go bra shopping

There are two groups of women: women wearing the right bra size and women wearing the wrong bra size. Only 20 percent of women are wearing the right bra size. The other 80 percent of women are wearing the wrong bra size and may not even know it. Which category are you in? You’re in the right place if you’re unsure which side of the spectrum you fall into.

Here are four tips to ensure you get into the right bra size and out of the wrong one:

Get a bra fitting now – and about every six months.

Bra fittings are essential to wearing the right bra size. In fact, bra fittings are the only way to accurately determine your bra size. A bra fitter takes a few measurements of your bust to evaluate the right cup and band size for your body.

There are several signs of an ill-fitting bra, like falling straps, a painful fit or gaps in the cups. Get a bra fitting now if you’re unsure if you’re wearing the appropriate bra size. (Then, get a bra fitting every six months to a year after the first one.) You’ll want to buy at least a couple bras for every day wear once you determine your bra size. It’s best to have a couple bras in your rotation so you don’t wear them out quickly.

Toss or donate bras that don’t fit

Don’t let poor fitting bras take up space in your lingerie drawer. This only makes it possible to wear a bra that doesn’t fit, which puts you back in that majority.

Try on yours bras and toss any that don’t fit well. You can donate bras that are gently worn. You can keep favorite bras that are no longer your size, but don’t let them live in your lingerie drawer. For example, you may have good, bigger bras that fit well during pregnancy. You don’t need to toss these, but you do need to store them somewhere else until you can wear them again.

Related: The Best Places To Donate Your Old Bras

Be mindful of lifestyle changes

Be mindful of lifestyle changes, so you’re aware of when you need to get a new bra fitting. Both minor and major changes can cause your bra size to fluctuate. Things like pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain, weight loss or menopause can change your bra size. (Every woman is different, and it may not require a significant weight change to adjust your bra size.) Simply being mindful of any lifestyle changes lets you proactively address a change in bra sizes.

Take inventory of your bras often

A bra that fit well a year ago may no longer fit the same way today. This could be because of lifestyle changes, but it could also be because the bra is aging. Your bra becomes stretched with every wear, and improper laundering or storing of your bras can speed up the aging process. An aging bra can’t do its job well. Therefore, it’s so important to take inventory of your bras often.

About every six months, try on each bra in your collection. Does the bra still feel supportive and shaping? Does it fit the way you want? Does it make you feel comfortable and confident? Consider replacing bras that don’t check off these boxes. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself back in that 80 percent of women wearing the wrong bra size.

Bras are designed to keep you feeling comfortable and confident. However, you must wear the right bra size to reap these benefits. Be mindful of your bra inventory and make bra fittings a priority if you want to continue wearing bras that truly fit.

Related: 5 Tips For Keeping Your Bras Looking New For Longer

We Highly Recommend

Whether you’re shopping for new everyday bras or lingerie for a special occasion, it’s always a good idea to seek out a second opinion. We know how hard it is to find bras that fit well and feel good, especially when you’re doing it on your own. If you’ve ever felt unsure about your bra size or you just don’t know where to go to find good bras, it’s time to let a bra fitter help.

Many specialty lingerie boutiques offer bra fittings. Their expert bra fitters will take the pain and frustration out of bra shopping and do all the work for you. Even better, their product knowledge can save you time and money. Plus, they know where all of the best bras are hiding.

If you’ve struggled with finding bras in the right size, it’s time to make a change. Visit our specialty store locator to find a store near you and schedule an appointment.

Happy bra shopping!

Featured image lingerie:
Elissa Contour Strapless Bra P5011 | Elissa Bikini P5013 in Black
Shop Now

Published by

Lauren Hamilton

Lauren Hamilton is the founder of, a lifestyle and relationship blog offering relationship advice and encouraging women to be the happiest, most confident version of themselves through positivity and self-love. She's also a freelance writer and communications strategist. Follow her on Instagram or Twitter, and check out some of her accomplishments on her portfolio.

Go Top